Piriteze Allergy Syrup is a clear, colourless solution. Each 1 ml of oral solution contains 1 mg of cetirizine hydrochloride as the active ingredient. It also contains glycerol, propylene glycol, sorbitol (E420), methyl parahydroxybenzoate (E218), propyl parahydroxybenzoate (E216), sodium acetate, acetic acid, saccharin sodium, banana flavour and purified water. Each bottle contains 70 ml of syrup.
What Does The Syrup Do?
The syrup contains the active ingredient cetirizine hydrochloride. Cetirizine belongs to a group of drugs called antihistamines which help relieve the symptoms of some allergies and itchy skin rashes.
The syrup is used to treat the allergic symptoms (runny or itchy nose with or without stuffiness) caused by hayfever and other allergies e.g. pet and house dust mite allergies. The syrup can also be taken to relieve the rashes and itching of chronic urticaria (hives). Urticaria can occur as a persistent condition and is recognised by the formation of raised white or reddish lumps surrounded by red inflamed areas which itch or sting.
Many things in today’s environment can trigger allergies in certain people.
• House dust mites
• Mould spores
Some things are not triggers themselves but can make the effect of allergies worse.
• Poor air conditioning
• Central heating / hot weather
You can help reduce allergic reactions by avoiding contact with those triggers which you know cause you to react:
• If you suffer from hayfever try to ensure low exposure to pollen when hayfever symptoms are expected. For example, keep windows closed, do not cut grass and stay indoors as much as possible.
• Try to avoid contact with animals if they normally cause you to have allergic symptoms.
How To Use
Check before you take this syrup
Do not take this syrup if you:
• Are allergic to any of the ingredients listed above.
• Have severe kidney problems.
Take special care with this syrup if you have:
• Liver problems
• Mild or moderate kidney problems.
Talk to your doctor if you are taking any of the following:
• Sedatives e.g. nitrazepam, as their effects may be increased by cetirizine.
Taking this medicine with food and drink:
• As with other antihistamines, it is advisable to avoid drinking large amounts of alcohol whilst taking this syrup.
Pregnancy and breast feeding:
• Talk to your doctor before taking if you are pregnant.
• Do not take if you are breast feeding.
Driving and using machines:
• This syrup does not normally cause drowsiness. However, individuals can react differently so if you are affected, you should not drive or operate machinery. This effect will be worse if you are also taking sedatives or drink alcohol.
Other Precautions you should take:
• The medicine should be discontinued 3 days before any allergy testing.
• If you take your medicine for a long time there is an increased risk of tooth decay due to mouth dryness. It is important to brush your teeth regularly.
Important information about some of the ingredients of the syrup:
• This product contains sorbitol - if you have been told by your doctor that you have an intolerance to some sugars, contact your doctor before taking this medicine.
• Methyl parahydroxybenzoate (E218) and propyl parahydroxybenzoate (E216) may cause allergic reactions (possibly delayed).
Solution for oral use.
Use the spoon provided to make sure you have the correct dose.
Adults (including the elderly) and children aged 6 years and over:
Two 5ml spoonfuls once daily, or one 5 ml spoonful morning and evening.
If the medicine makes you drowsy take once daily in the evening.
Children under 6 years: not recommended.
If you have kidney problems, you should only take half the recommended dose.
If you take more syrup than you should:
If you (or someone else) swallow a lot of the syrup all together, or if you think a child has accidently swallowed any of the syrup, contact your nearest hospital casualty department or your doctor immediately.
Overdose can cause drowsiness, unconsciousness, dry mouth, loss of co-ordination, shaking, headache, dilated pupils, feeling flushed, a very high temperature, hallucinations, fits, tics, dizziness or fainting, problems urinating, changes in heart rhythm, feeling and being sick. In children, agitation may occur.
If you forget to take the syrup:
If you forget to take a dose, take one as soon as you remember, unless it is nearly time to take the next one. Never take two doses together. Take the remaining doses at the correct time.
Will The Syrup Suit You?
Most people taking the syrup find it causes them no problems. Occasionally some people may have:
• Dry mouth
• Stomach or intestinal discomfort
These are all temporary, mild side effects of this medicine.
Stop taking this medicine and tell your doctor or go to your nearest hospital casualty department urgently if you experience a severe but rare allergic reaction which can include skin reactions, swelling of the face, lips, mouth or throat which may cause difficulty in swallowing or breathing. If you are concerned about these effects, or if the syrup affects you in any other way, stop taking it and talk to your doctor or pharmacist.
Free shipping from Hyperdrug
|Over £49.00||Any Weight||FREE*|
|Under £49.00||Under 250g||£2.49|
|Under £49.00||No weight limit||£4.99|
Most orders are despatched the same day and standard delivery is 3 to 5 working days from despatch. FAST Expedited delivery options are available.
Estimated " Usually shipped in" information is shown against most products
Postage outside of the UK is from £4.95
Finding out delivery Charges and options before checkout
- Simply add an item to your basket
- Click view basket/Cart
- Click estimate shipping charges
*Free delivery and selected charges on orders over £49.00 mainland UK Parcelforce Zone1 for more information check the delivery info page.