Continuous-release intraruminal device containing Monensin 32.4 g (equivalent to 35.2 g monensin sodium).
A cylindrical orange polypropylene intraruminal device uniquely identified with a number, fitted with wings, consisting of a core which presents as a stack of 12 subunits each containing 2.7 g monensin (equivalent to 2.9 g monensin sodium).
For the reduction in the incidence of ketosis in the peri-parturient dairy cow/heifer which is expected to develop ketosis.
Dosage and administration
A single intraruminal device is to be administered to a dairy cow/heifer 3-4 weeks prior to expected calving, using the Kexxtone administration tool.
Kexxtone delivers an approximate average dose of 335 mg of monensin per day for approximately 95 days. Adequate animal restraint is required to properly administer this intraruminal device. Such restraint must limit forward/backward motion and allow the animal’s head to be held in the forward extended position and without pressure on the neck to prevent choking.
1. Each intraruminal device has an individual number along the device body. This should be recorded with the corresponding animal identification number so that, should an intraruminal device be regurgitated, the animal can be identified.
2. Fold wings down along the intraruminal device body and insert the device into the Kexxtone administration tool, orifice end first.
3. Restrain the animal with its head and neck stretched forward. Grasp the animal with one hand in the corner of the animal’s mouth. Introduce the administration tool into the mouth avoiding the front teeth. In order to avoid trauma and damage to the pharynx and oesophagus, do not use excessive force.
4. Insert the administration tool past the base of the tongue making sure to avoid the molar teeth. As the animal swallows, the administration tool will move easily over the base of the tongue. DO NOT USE EXCESSIVE FORCE. If resistance is encountered, withdraw the tool slightly and repeat the procedure.
5. Be sure the head of the administration tool is past the base of the tongue.When the animal swallows, eject the intraruminal device from the administration tool. In the event of early regurgitation, identify the animal by matching the animal ID number with the number on the intraruminal device and re-administer an undamaged intraruminal device.
Contra-indications, warnings, etc
Do not use in animals weighing less than 300 kg bodyweight.
Hold treated cattle in a confined area for 1 hour after administration to observe for failure to swallow or regurgitation. If this occurs re-administer the intraruminal device if undamaged. If damaged, administer a new intraruminal device. Recheck cattle for up to 4 days after dosing to observe for signs of an intraruminal device lodging in the oesophagus. Signs of lodging may include bloat which may be followed by coughing, drooling, inappetence and unthriftiness.
Special precautions to be taken by the person administering the veterinary medicinal product to animals
Exposure to the active substance may elicit an allergic response in susceptible individuals. People with known hypersensitivity to monensin or any of the excipients should avoid contact with the veterinary medicinal product.
Do not eat, drink or smoke when handling the veterinary medicinal product.
Use gloves when handling an intraruminal device, including during retrieval of a regurgitated intraruminal device.
Remove gloves and wash hands and exposed skin after handling intraruminal devices.
Do not allow dogs, horses, other equines or guinea fowl access to formulations containing monensin. Consumption of intraruminal device contents can be fatal in these species.
Meat and offal: Zero days
Milk: Zero days
For animal treatment only.For use in pregnant and lactating dairy cattle.
Keep out of reach and sight of children.
Any unused veterinary medicinal product, waste materials derived from such veterinary medicinal products or regurgitated intraruminal devices should be disposed of in accordance with local requirements.
Aluminium foil bag containing 1, 3 or 5 intraruminal device(s)
In outers of 20 x 1 Bolus or 8 x 5 Bolus
Not all pack sizes may be marketed.
Shelf life of the veterinary medicinal product as packaged for sale: 2 years
Shelf life after first opening the immediate packaging: 6 months
Pharmacotherapeutic group: Drugs for treatment of acetonemia, ATC vet code: QA16QA06
Accidental administration of more than one intraruminal device could result in some adverse reactions which are typical of monensin overdose, including decreased appetite, scouring and lethargy. These are generally transient. The highest tolerated dose is typically between 1 mg and 2 mg monensin/kg bodyweight/day.
Free shipping from Hyperdrug
|Over £49.00||Any Weight||FREE*|
|Under £49.00||Under 250g||£2.49|
|Under £49.00||No weight limit||£4.99|
Most orders are despatched the same day and standard delivery is 3 to 5 working days from despatch. FAST Expedited delivery options are available.
Estimated " Usually shipped in" information is shown against most products
Postage outside of the UK is from £4.95
Finding out delivery Charges and options before checkout
- Simply add an item to your basket
- Click view basket/Cart
- Click estimate shipping charges
*Free delivery and selected charges on orders over £49.00 mainland UK Parcelforce Zone1 for more information check the delivery info page.