VETREMOX is a fine, white to cream powder containing 100% Amoxicillin trihydrate Ph.Eur. for the medication of chickens and turkeys.
Amoxicillin is a broad spectrum semi-synthetic penicillin which is bactericidal against a wide range of Gram-negative and Gram-positive bacteria, e.g.
Chickens - E.coli, Pasteurella spp and Erysipelothrix spp.
Turkeys - Pasteurella multocida
Dosage and administration
VETREMOX should be administered via the drinking water at a dose rate of 20mg/kg live weight. It is recommended that a representative sample of birds is weighed to assist in calculating the total dose to be administered to the group.
Chickens: the dose should be administered daily during 3 to 5 days, depending on clinical response.
Turkeys: The dose should be administered on days 1, 3 and 5 of the treatment period.
Calculate the quantity of Vetremox powder required to provide one dose to all of the birds in the affected house and administer this via the drinking water.
Method of administration
WHILST HANDLING THE PRODUCT WEAR WATERPROOF GLOVES AT ALL TIMES - See Operator Safety.
Administration via a header tank
1. First add the required quantity of Vetremox powder to 10 litres of tepid water in a clean container and stir vigorously for one minute.
2. Then immediately add this stock solution to the water in the header tank and stir gently. N.B. Very hard mains water may produce some cloudiness when Vetremox Powder has been added but this will not affect the drug in any way.
3. Turn off the water supply to the header tank until all the medicated water is consumed. After all the medicated water has been consumed, resume the supply of unmedicated water.
4. After all the medicated water has been consumed, resume the supply of unmedicated water.
5. Do not supply unmedicated water and medicated water at the same time.
Administration via Portable Drinkers
Clean Portable Drinkers may be used when medicating young birds or small groups of birds. Add the required quantity of Vetremox Powder to the water and stir well.
Contra-indications, warnings, etc
1. Chickens for human consumption must not be slaughtered during treatment or for 2 days after the last treatment. Turkeys for human consumption must not be slaughtered during treatment or for 5 days after the last treatment.
2. Vetremox must not be administered to chickens or turkeys laying eggs intended for human consumption.
3. In common with all other penicillins, amoxicillin should not be used orally or parenterally in rabbits, guinea pigs, hamsters, gerbils or other very small herbivores.
Whilst handling the product wear waterproof gloves at all times. When adding Vetremox Powder to water, keep the neck of the powder container below the level of the water while emptying, in order to minimise the presence of dust.
Vetremox contains a penicillin. Penicillins and cephalosporins may cause hypersensitivity (allergy) following injection, inhalation, ingestion or skin contact. Hypersensitivity to penicillins may lead to cross-reactions to cephalosporins and vice versa. Allergic reactions to these substances may occasionally be serious
Do not handle this product if you know you are sensitised, or if you have been advised not to work with such preparations.
Handle this product with great care to avoid exposure, taking all recommended precautions. Avoid skin contact. If you develop symptoms following exposure such as skin rash, you should seek medical advice and show the doctor this warning. Swelling of the face, lips or eyes or difficulty in breathing are more serious symptoms and require urgent medical attention.
Avoid skin contact. Wash hands after use.
Store in the original container, tightly closed, in a dry place at a temperature not exceeding 25°C.
The product remains stable for 18 months in original closed container. Any medicated water which has not been consumed within 24 hours should be discarded.
Dispose of any unused product and empty containers in accordance with guidance from your local waste authority.
Keep out of the reach of children.
For animal treatment only.
POM-V (previously POM).
75g, 200g, 500g polypropylene tubs with polyethylene lids.
Marketing authorisation number